Sunday, July 20, 2014

Chicken Sausage and Veggie Quiche - Without the fillers


This summer, Steve and I are involved in an organic "share" where we pick up a box of veggies from local farmers every other week.  You basically get whatever their highest growing crop is for the particular week, so it's a little unpredictable.  I try and use everything we get, even though some things are unique or not to our normal taste. We've had some unique veggies that I don't think I would have ever tried on my own - and we've enjoyed them quite a bit, all while supporting local farmers.  One can only do so much with swiss chard, and I usually get a LOT of it, so what better to do than add it into a grain free quiche? Ya'll know how much I love quiche.  It's easy, easy to make paleo and great for leftovers. 


I recently got a Costco membership.  That's a story for another day...I could easily spend hours in that place, combing through all the unique options and sampling all the free food.  They literally have everything and anything one could want, it's semi-insane but also amazingly, awesome.  All that aside, my primary objective of going there was to get some non-gmo, all natural chicken sausage and some turkey burgers.  I try to be superwife, but it gets challenging to balance that and the house, and the dog and cooking, and my fitness goals - so I wanted an option of things I could cook up for Steve instead of making chicken meatballs every week.  I left satisfied, full and wanting more.  I decided to combine my Swiss chard with the chicken sausage to make a delicious, grain free, dairy free (if you want to eliminate it) quiche. 


Filler Free Fancy Quiche

2 c swiss chard
3 sweet italian chicken sausages, chopped
1 small sweet onion, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 - 1/2 c grape tomatoes, diced
1/4 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
4 eggs
4 egg whites
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic, more to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  To a medium fry pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil, onion and Italian sausage. Cook until onions have softened and begun to caramelize and the chicken sausage is browned. Add in Swiss chard and allow to cook down (chard will cook similarly to spinach). In separate bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese, beat lightly. Add diced grape tomatoes and sausage mixture.  Grease 9 inch pie dish (I used glass). Pour mixture into the dish, cook for 35 minutes or until the middle is set. 



No comments:

Post a Comment