Sunday, April 7, 2013

Ultimate Ice Cream Cake with Homemade Hot Fudge

My mom always makes it a point to make something amazing for each of us for our birthday cakes. I've had everything from homemade chocolate molten cake to fresh strawberries and homemade buttercream sandwiched in between the moistest white cake. I know her dream is to one day open a bakery and share her amazing talents with the world. This woman can BAKE.

I hope to one day be nearly as amazing as my mom, whether that means in her giving and charitable nature, her patience, her humor - her cooking and baking.  I'll be honest, I started this post a few weeks ago when I was traveling and totally had a point with all of this...but now its moot because I can't for the life of me remember what that point was. Oh well - needless to say, my mom invited me and Steve over for St. Patrick's day dinner (yes, it's been that long since I've updated, shame.on.me.). I wanted to make a dessert that was green and delicious and I think I accomplished just that with this one.  I'd venture to think that almost everyone here has had Dairy Queen's ice cream cake, yeah? Well its fair to say that this is even better  than that because you can choose everything you want to go into it. 

I kept it relatively classic with the ice cream, the hot fudge, the cookie crumble bottom - the deliciousness.  The reviews were rave - anytime my younger brothers give approval, I know I'm good to go. 


Grasshopper Ice Cream Cake

2 1/2 c moderately crushed double chocolate oreos
1/2 c melted butter
1/2 c sugar
1/2 carton of softened ice cream (I used mint chocolate chip to keep the green theme)
2 C powdered sugar
2/3 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
12 oz evaporated milk
1 stick margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 oz cool whip

Line 9 x 13 inch pan with aluminum foil to assist in cutting. Combined crushed Oreos with melted butter and sugar.  Press into prepared 9 x 13 inch pan, freeze for 15 minutes or until firm. Spread ice cream on top and freeze until hardened (approximately 2-3 hours). Make hot fudge by combining the powdered sugar, chocolate chips, evaporated milk and margarine.  Bring to boil while stirring frequently, remove from heat and add vanilla. Cool to room temperature (you can also place it in the fridge or freezer to cool if you need to speed up the process a bit). Spoon sauce onto ice cream and freeze until solid.  Once frozen, add cool whip and remaining crushed oreos and freeze until ready to serve. 

To serve, pull the aluminum foil out from the pan and use sharp knife to serve. This should cut well while still frozen solid. Keeps up to two weeks in freezer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment