Friday, October 11, 2013

MCM? Steve's Favorite Meatball Subs with Mini Zucchini Pizzas

So the term "MCM" popped up earlier this week when discussing Jax from Sons of Anarchy - my and Steve's newest Netflix addiction.  MCM? I sell lab diagnostic testing, and in my world, that stands for "mastercurve material" (#nerdalert). But MCM? Mountain climbing midgets? Munchkins crawling miraculously? Meat craving Mormons? Monsters chasing mice? I can go all day with this, believe me, I can.  Really it is "Man Candy Monday" and I got to thinking, my blog has some yummy stuff (I think) and Steve tends to enjoy most of it, but how much of it is super man friendly? I don't know a lot of men who would dive into my blog and then dive out and make some zucchini noodles, let's be serious here, I'm not targeting an open enough audience.  So today, MCM stands for "Man Craving Meatballs"

I forgot about meatball subs for a while.  I guess I tend to cook on two plains - Italian and Mexican, but they're both amazing.  As I was making chicken Parmesan last week, another one of Steve's favorites, and I mentioned that it had been a while since I had made meatball subs.  His eyes lit up.  Earlier in the day I asked for what suggestions he had of things to eat for the week, and as usual, he had none.  Meatball subs made it to the top of the list after I mentioned it.  

The beauty of these meatball subs is a.) they're "man friendly", b.) they can be eaten as leftovers with pasta and c.) if like me, you are watching your carbs, you can eat just the meatballs and a veggie and it's still delightfully satisfying.  

I never measure out this recipe, I kind of do a dash here, a pinch there - but today, you lovely people are in for a treat - I actually created a recipe from what I normally make.  


Man-Craving Meatballs
Serves 4 

1 1/4 lb Ground "Meatloaf" Mix* or Ground Beef (80% lean)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 C Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 C Sweet Onion, diced
1/2 C Italian Breadcrumbs 
1/4 Sea Salt
1 TBSP Tomato Paste (optional to thicken sauce)
Dash of pepper
1/2 t Oregano/Italian Seasoning
Olive Oil for browning 
Favorite Pasta Sauce
Fresh Mozzarella 

Combine onion, egg, parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic and oregano/italian seasoning.  Add in meat and mix until fully combined. Heat olive oil  on medium heat in large fry pan.  Roll meatballs into slightly larger than golf ball size. Reduce heat to medium low and add meatballs to pan, brown on each side, approximately 7 minutes/side.  Once meat is browned, add in jar of pasta sauce, reduce heat to and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.  If you have chosen a thinner sauce, add in TBSP of tomato paste. To serve add to Italian bread, top with freshly grated mozzarella and fresh basil. 

 Mini Zucchini Pizzas 
  
1 Large Zucchini
1 can Tomato Paste
Parmesan
1/2 C Shredded Mozzarella
Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Slice zucchini 1/4 inch thick.  Add to prepared cookie sheet.  Season with salt, pepper, garlic and parmesan.  Add to oven and bake for 30 minutes or until zucchini starts to brown slightly.  Remove from oven, add about 1/2 teaspoon of tomato paste to each zucchini slice.  Top with shredded cheese.  Add back to the oven on broil, allow to bake until cheese is melted and slightly browned. 




1 comment:

  1. OMG I made the meatball subs tonight...absolutely delicious!! Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete