Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Simple Sundays - Crockpot Tortellini Soup and Quiche

It's rare that Steve and I have a weekend free of any kind of plans, and last week we found ourselves waking up early, getting into the office early, and ending the day late.  Needless to say, a well deserved weekend of R&R was in place. I ran all my errands on Friday night, I cancelled with my trainer so that I could sleep until I couldn't sleep any longer, which sadly for me was around 9 am, I got to cooking and preparing for Sunday so it would be the ultimate relaxation day.


Quiche is one of my favorite, carb free comfort foods that can be the filler to just about any meal.  While Steve can sit and eat several gigantic bowls of soup - I need some protein and can't make a meal just out of soup.  I keep the quiche pretty basic and switch up what I add each time, always sticking to elements of meat, cheese and vegetables.  This week I did sauteed onion, broccoli and turkey polish sausage - delish! I've included a basic recipe below.


Basic Quiche
1 tsp Olive Oil, Butter, Coconut Oil or whatever "fat" you want to use
1 Medium Onion Diced
1 C Favorite Vegetable - or smaller portions of several vegetables
1 C diced meat (bacon, ham, turkey, sausage, chicken etc.)
6-8 Eggs
1/2 C Milk
1/2 - 1 C Favorite Cheese


Heat olive oil over medium heat.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Saute onion until soften and translucent.  Add vegetables of choice and various seasonings (I stick to the basics, salt, pepper, garlic). Cook down until all softened.  Add in pre-cooked meat of choice - continue to cook several minutes or until all flavors have blended. Pour into prepared pie dish, sprinkle with cheese of choice.  Scramble eggs with milk, pour into pie dish. Spread mixture slightly around so layers are created. Bake in over for 40-50 minutes or until set. Remove and serve warm/room temperature.

Crockpot Tortellini Soup
Adapted from: What's for Dinner?

1 - 19 oz Frozen Cheese Tortellini
3 C Fresh Baby Spinach
2 - 14.5 oz cans Garlic Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 - 8 oz brick Naufchtel Cheese (low fat/fat free)
1 LB Ground Italian Sausage or Ground Italian Turkey Sausage
4 C Low Sodium Chicken Broth

Brown sausage.  Add to crockpot in following order, sausage, spinach, fire roasted tomatoes, cream cheese, chicken broth, cheese tortellini.  Cook on low for 4-5 hours. Stir midway through to ensure the cream cheese melts. Watch the tortellini to ensure they don't over cook.






No comments:

Post a Comment