Sunday, February 3, 2013

Mini broccoli egg muffins


If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times...and if it has to do with food then I've definitely said it a thousand times: I love breakfast. Recently with my new love (or perhaps personal obligation?) for lower carb, the fun seems to get sucked out or breakfast. No more eggs and rice,or spaghetti and eggs (don't judge). I can say goodbye to tortilla chips crushed in my with eggs, salsa, cheese and avocado. What's left?!? How will I sinlessly eat and enjoy breakfast ever again?!? Carb free mini egg and broccoli quiches? BINGO (think Talladaga Nights). These totally satisfy that craving for a breakfast that's hearty and healthy at the same time.


I've tried going the extra healthy route with these by doing turkey Italian sausage and ill admit, it really loses a little something when it's done this way ("it's the grease you idiot, it's missing the grease," I remind myself). It can definitely be done this way and its still good, but I will say try it the regular way first and then if its still not healthy enough for you, go ahead and sub.


Perhaps the best part about these is that they heat great the next day, next several days even. My husband loves when I make these and there are leftovers because he can just throw them in the microwave and grab 'em on the go.



Sausage Broccoli Mini Muffins

1 lb of Italian sausage, removed from casing (I usually get the ground Italian sausage from the fruit market but if you can't find it, just cut off the casing)
1 c fresh broccoli - you can do frozen but make sure it's thawed and drained
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp minced onion
8 large eggs
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 milk
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 C sharp cheddar cheese
Cooking spray


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brown Italian sausage and crumble, drain any grease. Add broccoli, garlic, minced onion and salt. Cook until broccoli is slightly softened. Remove from heat and set aside. 




In medium bowl, beat eggs and milk. Add olive oil, baking powder and cheese. Spray 12 muffin muffin tin with cooking spray. 


Spoon in sausage and broccoli mixture filling just under half the muffin cup. Ladle in egg mixture filling 3/4 of the way full.



 Sprinkle extra cheese if desired. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until eggs are firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment