Saturday, February 16, 2013

Philly Cheese Empanadas with Cream Sauce

I try to do a red meat meal at least once a week, particularly ground beef. The problem comes in that my creative mind seems to slip into a coma whenever i try to decide what to make. I find myself always stuck on meatballs, something with a Mexican twist or... What? I battle with myself to find something to do with ground beef that I have all the ingredients for or that doesn't take a ton of time to do up something fancy. Lets be serious, between work and the hour I try to commit to the gym everyday, cleaning, laundry and relaxation time, a fancy meal every night just isn't always in the cards. And now with Steve working late, it's nice sometimes to have a meal that he can easily take as leftovers for a late afternoon snack. 

I came across a recipe for Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes and thought "How great would these be if they were compact and grab and go?".  And there it was born - the Philly Cheesesteak Empanadas. My mom makes these yummy empanadas with a taco twist on them so I took the starter of that concept and married it with the Philly Cheesesteak concept and let me tell you...S.U.C.C.E.S.S. - concept, the best. You all remember that silly cheer from high school, right? Well hold onto your britches because your taste buds will certainly be singing that once you try these. 

I wish I had a great story to tell with this one, something funny? Don't have that. Something cute? Nope, nope, failing there. Something inspiring? Food inspires me constantly but I don't think that's the kind of story I'm looking for. So there it is, just a good, quick and easy recipe. No fuss, no story; get over it. 





Heat oil on medium high heat. Add chopped green peppers and onions. Cook until softened.


Add ground beef and brown.


Dissolve beef bouillon in warm water.  Add steak sauce and bouillon mixture to ground beef. Simmer until thickened, then turn off heat.


In a medium saucepan, melt butter and whisk in flour. Let cook for approximately 1 minute.  Add in milk and whisk to combine. Bring up to slight bubble and allow to thicken.


Turn off heat and add in shredded cheese. Stir until completely combined.  Add more milk if mixture seems too thick.


Flatten biscuits into 6" diameter discs


Add 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp of ground beef mixture to center of dough.  Add 1 tsp cream sauce.  Fold over and press dough together to seal. 


Place on cookie sheet and cook for 12-15 minutes or until dough is slightly browned.


Serve with remainder of cheese sauce as dipping sauce or drizzled on top.


Philly Cheesesteak Empanadas
1 lb ground beef (preferably 90/10)
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 C steak sauce (like an A1)
1 C water
1 Tbsp beef bouillon*

Cheese Sauce
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1 c milk
1 c shredded Swiss cheese

*Water and beef bouillon can be substituted for 1 c beef stock,  I just happened to have only the bouillon on hand! 


No comments:

Post a Comment