Monday, January 7, 2013

THE INFAMOUS BUT NOT YET FAMOUS FRIED RICE










I feel like since the beginning of time, literally the beginning of time, I've been helping my Dad make fried rice with leftovers on a Saturday morning.  I have such great memories of helping cut all the ingredients and then waiting in awe as my dad turned all our leftovers from the week into amazing fried rice.  I find myself doing the same thing now that I'm married and living on my own.  Any time I need a filler and have leftover rice, the best option seems to be to saute up some onions and veggies and add in any meat I can find to make "animal" style fried rice! While this recipe seems as though it can be ever changing, I have added below my standard fried rice recipe with some suggestions of what else to add. The one above has ground beef (leftover from tacos) and bacon. 

INFAMOUS  BUT NOT YET FAMOUS FRIED RICE

4 cups of cooked white rice (leftover works great for this)
1/2 lb bacon chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1 small green pepper chopped
4 TBSP Butter divided
1 TBSP Garlic 
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tsp Soy Sauce
1 - 2 Eggs Scrambled

Use one TBSP of butter and melt in fry pan. Add onions, bacon and green pepper. Cook until bacon is cooked all the way through and onions start to brown.  Add garlic, salt and pepper.  Once cooked, add rice,  remainder of butter and soy sauce.  Cook until all flavors have combined together.  In a separate pan, cook scrambled egg, add to rice and serve.  

JAPANESE STEAKHOUSE STYLE

4 cups of cooked white rice
1 medium onion chopped
1 cooked chicken breast (or pork), chopped
1 medium orange pepper diced
1 TBSP Sugar
1 + 3 TBSP Soy Sauce
1 TBSP Garlic
Salt and pepper to taste (keep in mind that soy sauce is salty!)
1/4 c mixed veggies (corn, peas, carrots)
1 egg scrambled

Saute onion, chicken and pepper in butter, olive oil or vegetable oil until slightly browned.  Add 1 TBSP sugar and 1 TBSP soy sauce, continue to stir and saute. Add in garlic, salt and pepper.  Slowly add in mixed vegetables and saute. Add in rice, remainder of soy sauce and scrambled egg.  Add more sugar to taste if need be.



I personally don't care for the soy sauce taste too much and only add just enough to add some saltiness and a bit of flavor.  Some variations are as follows: 

Pineapple, chicken, tomato and onion - saute these ingredients, then add rice and several tablespoons of sugar for a sweet "flat top-esq" fried rice

Add cooked and seasoned chicken, ground beef or pork

Add extra veggies - corn, peas, red/yellow peppers, hot peppers



No comments:

Post a Comment