Sunday, January 26, 2014

Not So Lazy Sunday - Doggie Treats and People Eats

I'm not much of a "sweets" person. If given the choice between an appetizer and dessert, it would be appetizer all the way, every single time but I love to bake.  I think I get the love of baking from my mom. Granted, I don't make the time to do it as often as she does - I still enjoy doing it.  Since Steve and I have been on a bit of a health kick, it's been a little harder to bake because it goes uneaten - sure, I can bring it to work but that then requires packing it up and there's always the unnerving concern that it's not as good as Steve says it is.  He's a good husband, he knows how this works.  

So I got a KitchenAid for Christmas (yahooo!) and since we're avoiding sweets, it hasn't been broken in quite as much as I would like. Which leaves me to my first recipe for the day...homemade dog biscuits. Yep, I'm officially one of those people.  I just spent a portion of my Sunday making limited ingredient, all "natural" dog biscuits for Rosie.  And I have to admit...I tried them (you'll understand why) and they weren't half bad.


Peanut Butter and Apple Dog Biscuits

1 C whole wheat flour
1/4 C rolled oats
1 TBSP baking powder
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1/2 C Peanut Butter
1/2 C Milk
1 TBSP Unsweetened Apple Sauce


Preaheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in KitchenAid mixer,  add all wet ingredients and mix until combined and a dough forms. Form dough into large ball,  roll out 1/2 inch thick on parchment.  Use cookie cutter to create the biscuits.  Repeat with excess until no dough is left.  Bake on parchment covered cookie sheet for 20 minutes or until golden browned.  Allow to cool 15 minutes before sharing with your pooch! 


Rosie likes it! You know its a good treat when she cries and takes it to her room

Since it didn't seem fair to make something for Rosie...and not Steve, I decided to take myself back to some childhood memories and make some granola bars.  When we were kids my mom had this awesome recipe for chocolate chip granola bars.  Until later in life, I don't ever remember having store bought/Quacker granola bars and I'm not even mad about it.  There's just something about the tastes of fresh granola bars that make all the difference. 

Chewy Granola Bars
Makes 24 Bars

2 1/2 C Rice Krispies
1 3/4 C Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
1/4 C Ground Flax Seed
1/4 C Shredded Sweetened Coconut
1/4 C Chopped Cashews
1/4 C Dried Mixed Berries, chopped (cranberries, blueberries, cherries)
1/2 C Honey
1/2 C Browned Sugar
2/3 C Chunky Peanut Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 C Mini Dark Chocolate Chips

Combine the rice krispies, rolled oats, flax seed, coconut, cashews and mixed berries in large bowl. In small saucepan, mix the honey and brown sugar over medium-low heat, stirring constantly.  Allow mixture to boil for 30-60 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.  Pour over dry ingredients and mix well with mixer or by hand. Allow mixture to cool 5-10 minutes, then add chocolate chips.  Grease 9 x 13 pan generously.  Press mixture firmly down into pan.  Allow to cool completely before cutting. To get 24 bars, cut lengthwise into four sections, and width-wise into 6 sections. Wrap individually in plastic wrap, store all in seal tight container.  These can also be frozen!

And finally, while I'm eating plain chicken, brown rice and veggies, it's not fair for poor Steve to always eat that stuff. So - I made him an old favorite in a new way - Buffalo Chicken Pot Pie. More pics to follow! 




Buffalo Chicken Pot Pie
Adapted from Pillsbury Makes 1 - 9" Pie

1 TBSP Olive Oil
2 Medium Red Potatoes, diced, skin on 
1 Medium Sweet Onion, diced
2 Carrots, diced
1 Rotisserie Chicken, skin removed and diced (approximately 2 lbs)
1/8 Brick of Cream Cheese
3/4 C Franks Hot Sauce
1 C Shredded Mozzarella Cheese  (can use blue cheese, but we're not HUGE blue cheese fans)
1 box Refrigerated Pie Dough (should have 2, 9-inch crusts)


Remove pie crusts from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat.  Add in diced potatoes and onion.  Cook until potatoes are softened and starting to crisp.  Add in carrots, allow to cook until slightly softened.  In medium bowl, add chicken and sauteed vegetables. Combine with hot sauce and cream cheese until well blended.  Mix in mozzarella cheese. Carefully unroll first dough and follow instructions on box into 9-inch, glass pie pan.  Add filling, top with second pie crust.  Press together with fingers sealing off the filling between the two crusts.  Cut slits in top crust to allow to steam.  To prevent from over browning or burning of the crust, cover outer edge with foil.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.  Allow to cool several minutes before cutting and serving.  



1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! I'll have to get Greg to whip up a batch for our beagle!

    ReplyDelete