Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Bougie Breakfast Pizza - Chorizo and Potato

Urbandictionary.com defines "bougie" as follows, "Anything that is perceived as "upscale" from a blue-collar point of view. 'Bougie' (pronounced boo'-she) is a hacked truncation of the word Bourgeoisie, which refers to the middle-class in Europe, but refers to a more affluent class level in the United States,". So here you have it ladies and gentlemen - my bougie version of an old classic, breakfast pizza!

Steve often teases me that we don't repeat meals too often in the Zuniga household. I often times make something new and inquire if its good enough that I could make it again. The response is usually "yes" but the recipe doesn't reappear often if at all. Part of its because I'm constantly in search of the next best thing, the other part is because I forget things I've made and perhaps the BIGGEST part is that I don't ever want to make something so often that all the sudden the thought of it makes us gag. It's all about moderation, right?

Let me preface by saying that despite all the posts for it, Steve and I very rarely eat breakfast. During the week I do hard oiled eggs or grapefruit and he does....pop? On weekends breakfast is usually slept through so we go straight to lunch. Either way, I was in the mood for breakfast today and wanted to do a little something different. So the thought came to me, I'll jazz up Steve's favorite breakfast pizza- deliciousness was born. Instead of breakfast sausage like the standard breakfast pizza, this one uses bacon and chorizo. The crust is a tradition pizza crust instead of crescent rolls and everything is ore cooked before being added as oppose to my original breakfast pizza post where almost everything cooks together.

The result - a savory, slightly spicy and perfectly crispy breakfast pizza that can be enjoyed anytime of the day!


Chorizo, Potato and Bacon Breakfast Pizza


1 tube Pillsbury Pizza dough

12 oz mild chorizo
7 strips of bacon, diced
1 1/2 c Obrien diced potatoes
8 extra large eggs
1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
1 1/4 c pizza style cheese (blend of cheddar and mozzarella)
An appetite

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Unroll dough onto greased pan. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until slightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool. 
Meanwhile, in medium sauté pan, cook chopped bacon until crisp. Drain any grease and add chorizo. Allow chorizo to cook until browned. Drain and remove from pan. Using leftover grease in pan, cook potatoes until browned. Sprinkle sausage and bacon over pizza dough leaving some edges open for the crust. Add potatoes.

 In medium bowl, beat eggs and whipping cream. Cook eggs leaving them slightly "wet" as they will continue to cook in the oven. Add eggs on top of sausage, bacon and potatoes. Top with cheese. Add to oven and bake 10 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is melted. Remove from oven, cut into squares and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment