Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Olive Garden Soup and Quiche - The Perfect Pairing

The hubby loves soup and I love quiche, and like the two of us, those two are a perfect match.  Steve can get his fill from a warm, creamy soup, full of veggies and protein. I can get mine from a warm, cheesy, veggie filled, egg engulfed. One word ---Sluuurp! Its Lenten season, and I'm always looking for something that is satisfying for both of us to eat (which can be a challenge since Steve doesn't dare set his eyes on fish other than Nemo and Salmon) and that isn't just full of unhealthy starches and carbs.  I had two Pinterest recipes picked for last Friday and had to share them.  They were BOTH a huge hit and the best part...LEFTOVERS! 

Who loves Olive Garden? Who doesn't is the better question.  This recipe is almost an exact copycat of Olive Garden's Chicken Gnocchi soup - the veggies cook up perfectly so they still have a very slight crunch to them, the gnocchi stays firm and chewy, like a homemade gnocchi   The cream base...ohhhhh the cream base, has just the right amount of flavor to it.  I will say, the recipe is a lightened version and I lightened it even more by using half of the half and half and the other half skim milk - the flavor and texture were not sacrificed at all.

I'll admit, the Gnocchi was the only thing that filled my everlasting shopping void that day.  I woke up early, started cooking, realized I didn't have gnocchi and found that to be the best excuse ever to go to World Market - for gnocchi of course.  I left there, only with gnocchi and an empty hole I hoped to later fill with furniture (problem? ehhh). The gnocchi was totally worth it though and I recommend if you can get to a World Market for your gnocchi  get it from there.  The texture was perfectly authentic and reminded me of the homemade gnocchi from Sarnellos - a Lettuce Entertain You restaurant in our neighborhood who makes homemade pasta daily.  

The quiche - perfect.  I was a little hesitant at first because instead of mixing everything together like I'm used to, the recipe called for layering the broccoli, cheese,spinach and repeat and then pouring the egg mixture over it.  I will say, this was better the second day than the first and would recommend making it ahead of time and then just warming it to serve for day two.  

Olive Garden's Chicken Gnocchi Soup 
Recipe adapted from Dinner Dishes and Desserts


1 cup chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
2 Tbls butter
2 Tbls olive oil
2 Cups Half and Half
2 Cups Skim Milk
2 cups chicken stock
½ cup celery, chopped
¼ cup flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup carrots, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
½ tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 (16oz) package gnocchi

Place thawed chicken in water and set to boil.  Once boiling, place lid on pot and allow to cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through. Remove from heat and shred.
In a large pot heat butter and oil over medium high heat. Saute onion, celery and garlic until the onion is soft and translucent. Add carrots. 
Add flour, and stir until well mixed. Cook for 1 minute.
Whisk in half and half and milk until well blended.  
Meanwhile, in another pan cook gnocchi according to the package directions.
Add chicken stock and stir frequently until thickened. 
Add chicken, cooked gnocchi, spinach, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover, and heat for 5 minutes, until heated through.

See the quiche recipe HERE. I made a few minor changes by using half swiss and half cheddar cheese instead of the grueyre simply because I had those on hand.  I would imagine the grueyre would be amazing though and I'll definitely try it that way! I also used a refrigerated dough - they're quicker and easier to work with! 


No comments:

Post a Comment