Thursday, August 1, 2013

Mexican Stuffed Shells

This is one of the first recipes I had gotten from Pinterest and probably what started my obsession with finding new and exciting recipes on there.  I mostly follow the recipes exactly except I have made a few changes in terms of the kind of salsa I use.  I also prefer to use my own taco seasoning which is very similar to this by Rachel Ray.  These shells are almost ALWAYS a hit.  I had my inlaws over for them once a while back when I first started making the recipe.  I had decided on these because I knew my FIL liked regular stuffed shells and my mother in law liked Mexican food - so it seemed like the perfect option. I remember my mother in law telling my father in law that they were stuffed shells and he replying "ohhh these are really good with meat in them, do they sell them at Costco like this?".  I was pleased he liked them so much! I made them later for my family, and they're ultimate foodies and couldn't get enough of them.  They definitley make the list for one of my hubby's favorites, unfortunately as I'm following a more Paleolithic lifestyle, they don't make the menu as often as either of us would like.  Let's be honest, healthy eating or not, there's no way I could make these for Steve...and have plain chicken and vegetables for myself, #notgonnahappen.

Taco Stuffed Shells - good.
I'll be honest, I can no longer find the exact recipe that I originally used, but I have pretty much kept my version of it consistent every time I make them and am now in the habit of just throwing it all together by taste and texture.  I wish I could say I had a picture of these, because food is ALWAYS more appealing when you can see it, but I do not have one of my own! 



Taco Stuffed Shells
Recipe adapted from Random Thoughts and Thrills

1 Lb Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
1 Package Taco Seasoning or 2 TBSP Homemade Seasoning
1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
12 - 16 Jumbo Pasta Shells, cooked and cooled
2.5 Cups Southwest Corn and Black Bean Salsa
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Cup Shredded Monteray Jack Cheese

Brown beef or turkey and drain of all grease.  Add in 3/4 of the brick of cream cheese, stirring until melted. Pour half of the salsa on bottom of 9X13 pan until lightly covered.  Stuff shells with approximately 1 tbspon of beef mixture. Once complete, pour additional salsa on top.  Cook at 350 degrees, covered, for 20 minutes - remove from oven and add shredded cheddar and montery jack cheese and allow to bake uncovered for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.  Serve with sour cream, green onions or any other topping of your choice. 

These are a great make ahead dish and heat up really well the next day as either leftovers or if you want to prepare ahead of time for guests.  I like to serve mine with some cilantro lime rice and refried beans! Carbs, Carbs, Carbs - now you know why I can't make this too often :).




No comments:

Post a Comment