Friday, September 20, 2013

What?!? Zucchini Noodles?!




I am beyond excited to write this post today.  I walked into the office, told everyone what I did last night, and got three people to purchase the vegetable spiralizer I own.  I should probably call Paderno and request commission for it because I highly doubt, without my advertising, these folks would've known the amazingness (yes, that's a word in my vocabulary) of this product.  I was pretty impressed that I was able to make a delicious meal that was both low carb AND (mostly) Paleo but still delivered the kind of flavor I'm used to.


The best part about this spiralizer is that I was able to make an entire bowl of "pasta" in under 5 minutes and out of just two large zucchini. It made an excellent side dish and I cannot wait to sample a bunch of different sauces with the noodles to really provide you all with some good insight.

I purchased the Paderno World Cuisine Spiral Slicer and couldn't be happier with my investment.  I did some research and found this one to be the easiest to use, clean and most versatile as it has three different blades depending on the "noodle" thickness you're looking for.

If you asked me five years ago if I thought I'd be living like this, the answer would have been "absolutely friggin not". I always ate healthy but was never really looking for the next best thing to replace my pastas and breads that I love so much.  I can honestly say that now, I'm quite content and it always excites me when Steve can hop on board as well.

So here it is folks - my mostly paelo, low carb and super satisfying meal - man approved!

Can't Believe It's Almost Paleo* Chicken Piccata
Adapted from My Momma :)

4 Chicken Breast Cutlets
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp capers
1/4 c Almond Flour
1/4 c Arrowroot Powder
1/4 c dry white wine
1/2 c chicken broth
salt and pepper
vegetable or olive oil (I used olive oil, but I have used vegetable in the past for non-paleo and its fantastic :) )


Between two pieces of parchment paper, pound chicken to less than 1 inch thick.  Season with salt and pepper. Combine almond flour and arrowroot powder.  Dredge* the chicken breast with flour mixture.  Heat approximately 1 tbsp of olive oil.  Add cutlets to the pan allowing to brown on each side (approximately 3 minutes). Cover and continue to warm for several minutes.  Remove the chicken from pan, cover to keep warm.  Add white wine and capers to pan to deglaze. Allow to cook for two minutes, add chicken broth and chicken.  Cook for several more minutes and serve platted with lemon slices.

***This recipe is fantastic non-paleo as well.  Simply swap the almond flour and arrowroot powder mixture for regular flour

Creamy Lemon Zucchini Noodles

4 oz Neufactel Cheese
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 TBSP Olive or Coconut Oil
2 C Fresh Zucchini Noodles
2 TBSP Lemon Juice
1 TSP Dried Parsley Flakes

Sautee garlic and olive oil, add in cream cheese until melted.  Add lemon juice and stir.  Add zucchini noodles to heat, only allowing to cook for approximately 3 minutes - you want them to maintain a bit of a crunch.  Remove from heat, sprinkle with parsley and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment