Friday, December 7, 2012

Comfort Food - Tempura Battered Chicken with Spaghetti Squash

I like to eat healthy as often as I can, but some days comfort food just finds its way into my kitchen and I can't say no to it.  I could have gone all out - I wanted to go all out and make mac and cheese or potato pancakes with my chicken, but since Thursday's are my personal training days, I couldn't be COMPLETELY counterproductive by having a meal full of gluttony. 

I'm half Japanese so naturally, I love my Asian food.  When I go for Japanese food its always a struggle of whether I should get the tempura battered shrimp and veggies or go the sushi route. If I'm starving and need some substance, its tempura all the way. Last night, I was starving and needed substance, and what better way to get it than to batter up some tempura and chow down! 

The batter is perfect, exactly what one would be looking for to create a crisp, flaky breading. I served it with some sauteed spaghetti squash and battered up some carrots for the hubby (I was going to introduce him to artichokes which are a little scary for him and decided I needed a backup veggie).

Tempura Batter
2 Cups Water
2 Cups Flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic
3 TBS White Vinegar
1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 lb chicken breast tenders (thin sliced)

In a large bowl combine flour, salt and garlic. Add water and mix. In a separate bowl, combine vinegar and baking soda. This will cause a fizzing reaction, add to large bowl and mix thoroughly but be careful not to over mix or the batter will lose its fluffiness! In a deep fry pan or wok, heat 2 inches of vegetable oil until approximately 350 degrees. Dip the chicken in the batter and shake off excess.  Drop into oil and cook until browned on each side. Drain on paper towel and add a little salt to taste. 


Sauteed Spaghetti Squash
Roasted Spaghetti Squash, fork peeled
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tbsp Dried Minced Onion
1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 C Parmesan Cheese
1/2 lemon squeezed

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Cut each end of the squash off and then split down the middle.  Drizzle olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place flesh down in a Pyrex dish and bake for 30-40 minutes.  Squash is ready when the skin is easily poked with a knife and the "noodles" shred out easily with a fork.  Once cooled, use fork to shred the flesh into "noodles". Heat olive oil in a saute pan, add squash, onions, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.  Saute until squash is "el dente". Add lemon and parmesan - saute several more minutes and serve. 




No comments:

Post a Comment