Thursday, December 20, 2012

Perogi Stuffed Shells with Sauteed Arugala


I was on Pinterest…of course when I stumbled upon a Mr. Food recipe for Perogi lasagna.  How delicious and how…carb full! I decided that I couldn’t wait to make and eat it - it had cheese and potatoes and pasta, have I caught your attention yet? I decided though, that I did NOT need a meal full of carbs - I still try and keep them to a limit so that had me thinking - why not make them as stuffed shells? 
It was perfect, I had the ingredients at home, I already had my protein picked out, and it would make the perfect side to our sauteed chicken and arugala. This recipe can make anywhere from a serving for two to a serving for a potluck of 15 people or more.  What’s great about it is once you have the ingredients and the taste buds, you can just play around with it as you please! I have included the recipe for a large group - it’s a little easier than measuring for two :).
PEROGI STUFFED SHELLS
1 LB Jumbo Stuffed Shells (cooked, drained and cooled)
1 box (17 servings) of instant mashed potatoes (you can also do homemade mashed potatoes, one small potato per person)
1 Medium onion
8oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/4 C Sour Cream
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Parsley Flakes
2 tbsp Chives
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cook pasta shells according to package, drain and set aside to cool. Prepare mashed potatoes according to package or use your own homemade mashed potatoes recipe. While potatoes are cooking, saute onions in butter until they are golden brown.  Once potatoes are done cooking, add in sour cream, parsley, garlic, chives, salt, pepper and onions with all drippings, combine thoroughly.  Add in 1 C shredded cheddar cheese, stir.  Warm potatoes until all ingredients are blended.  With rounded tablespoon fulls, fill each shell with the potato mixture. Once all shells are filled, melt butter in large fry pan.  Add shells, first noodle side down, then potato side down until browned (this step is just to brown the noodles and potatoes enough to warm, be careful not to overcook). Serve hot with sour cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment